Beering in NY

All that recent reminiscing on twitter about Saint Arnold had me wondering something. I've had a a lot of their beers. Are they the brewery I've had the most unique check-ins from? Thanks to recently becoming an Untappd supporter, I could easily find out...

And the answer is? Yes. Buuuut...not for long. I'm about to become primarily a NY beer drinker. Well at least according to Untappd. I don't religiously check in to beers. Sometimes I am better than others and probably moreso recently, but I do usually remember to check-in to a new beer. Mostly because I'm a beer nerd who likes seeing the numbers.

Seeing my "unique" beers gives a nice revelation. Saint Arnold of Houston, TX is my top brewery for unique check-ins. Makes sense after living there for 5+years (although I was on Untappd for just under 4 of those). As of today, I have checked in to 53 different beers of theirs. However, they are soon to be dethroned. I'm now up to 52 unique check-ins for Ithaca Beer Co. Yeah that'll change soon.  Here's my Top 10 by the numbers:

brewery_name
COUNTA of beer_name
Saint Arnold Brewing Company53
Ithaca Beer Company52
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.43
Buffalo Bayou Brewing42
Saranac Brewery (F.X. Matt Brewing Co.)41
Stone Brewing37
Southern Tier Brewing Company32
Karbach Brewing Co30
Real Ale Brewing Company27
Boston Beer Company22

Quick Summary
Houston Area breweries (4): Saint Arnold, Buffalo Bayou, Karbach, and Real Ale.
NY breweries (3): Ithaca, Saranac, and Southern Tier. 
National brands (3): Sierra Nevada Stone, Boston Beer. 

Of note, Ithaca doesn't quite have the nearby competition Saint Arnold had. No other nearby breweries are as readily available. But we'll see how that begins to change with the birth of Liquid State and the growth of others such as Aurora Ale and Lager and Lucky Hare. Saranac stays pretty high on the list thanks to their variety packs. This is probably what keeps them ahead of Southern Tier as I tend to mostly buy their Overpack'd lately (so nothing "unique"). Total check-ins (not just unique) will be interesting to look at. I have a feeling a different Houston brewery may top that list, but that's for another day.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New England Craft Beer HoF

Box of Hops (Spring) in Review