Last Call: The Session

the session beer blogging logoI've got a blog, but I don't consider myself a blogger. I like to write. But I don't consider myself a writer. Perhaps these things taken together explain why I always avoid doing posts--even though I WANT to blog/write. So, I've been looking for some inspiration. Something to push me to just write. I may have found it although perhaps a bit too late. The Session is a monthly writing exercise where beer bloggers all focus on the same topic. Of course, I didn't find out about it until just yesterday, after all of the submissions for the December 2018 topic had already been rounded up. Oh, and it appears to be the final (as in last one ever) call for The Session!

Well, the good thing for me is this was a long running series--this final session being #142. While it may not be continuing on (or will it??), I'm thinking I've got archives of topics to pour through to find many writing sparks.

One More for the Road

Before I get to the archives though, I want to tackle this last session, because it truly interested me. Here's the prompt:

When Jay Brooks and I (Stan Hieronymus) exchanged emails about the topic this month I flippantly suggested “Funeral Beers” seemed appropriate. You can call it “Last Beers” if you’d rather not think about how your friends might toast you when you no longer are participating. Or “One more for the road” because that has a soundtrack. Pick a beer for the end of a life, an end of a meal, an end of a day, an end of a relationship. So happy or sad, or something between. Write about the beer. Write about the aroma, the flavor, and write about what you feel when it is gone.

Oh man. Pick one beer? But how does one gauge one's response?? There's so many factors one could consider!! It reminded me of Brodie's response in Mallrats trying to pick which comic book hero he'd be.



What's the beer for all seasons, coming and going? Well, for me it has to be a saison. I mean it literally translates to season. Give me a rough pour, with a big pillowy/fluffy white head. I want it on the spicier end, nice and peppery. And you know it's going to be super crisp with high level of carbonation. Perfectly refreshing after a hard day's work. Festively bright for any celebration. And it always seems to transport me to a certain time and place--a wonderful beer to help you reflect on where you've been and/or where you're going.

Local v. Classic

Wait a minute. There's no versus here. No either/or. This is a both/and. If it's me, I've got a soft spot towards classics and there's no better standard bearer than Saison DuPont*. There's so many layers to this beer, but perhaps I love its bitter (yet refreshing) bite the most. As an IPA lover, this classic helped grow my love for the style.

glass of lucky hare cezanne in hector new york

However, if you know me you also know I have a love for all things local. With this in mind, I need some local representation to mark any sort of occasion. One of the best breweries in the Finger Lakes has got to be Lucky Hare Brewing in Hector, NY. They have a fantastic variety of styles, from IPA to Berliner Weiss to Bourbon Barrel-Aged stouts to Kolsch to much much more. But, one of my clear cut favorites is their Cezanne. It is brewed with peppercorns which really highlights the spice that I love balanced with the fruity esters. It is a fantastically refreshing beer, perfect for quenching your thirst on a summer day looking over Seneca Lake.

Either way, when the beer in the glass is all gone I know I will feel refreshed, and prepared to sip on whatever adventure comes next.

Cheers!

*I almost second guessed this classic choice with another offering from Brasserie DuPont: Avec Les Bons Voeux. It's a special saison for the holidays which essentially means, "best wishes." Hard to argue with that as a send-off beer...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New England Craft Beer HoF

Beering in NY

Shiny New Pennies for 2019