A Year of Beer: 2018

Apparently it is now the year 2019. I'm not sure exactly when that happened. A few days ago says the calendar. But really, I'm not sure where the last few months went. Working at a university, I tend to measure time in semesters. This last one went by in a blur. Perhaps it was being out of commission for a few weeks with a ruptured appendix. Perhaps it's an age thing. Either way, here we are!

I've got some goals for 2019. I may not call them resolutions per se, but certainly things I hope to accomplish/change in the new year. But first, a quick look back at some of the awesome beer I've had the pleasure of imbibing this past year.

The Standouts

While there have been many, many great beers this past year, I think the beers I've had from Other Half and Threes Brewing standout the most when looking back. We stumbled into what was left of an Other Half tap takeover at Tap and Mallet on one of our trips to Rochester this year and also had more at the New York Craft Brewers Festival in Syracuse. Their Double Dry Hopped Double Mosaic Daydream is a helluva long name--and a helluva damn good beer featuring wonderful mosaic hops.

At the less hoppy end of the spectrum, Threes' pilsners started showing up on Finger Lakes Beverage Center's shelves and I couldn't be happier. They may be pricey, but they sure are gorgeously nuanced. Vliet was everything it was billed to be, but Kicking and Screaming was even better for me.
A Vliet by the fire pit. Kicking and Screaming may have been my favorite of the two,
but the setting with this one was absolutely perfect. 
How about that? Two of my favorites from this year representing New York well. Considering all of our travels this year, this certainly carries some weight. We were lucky to enjoy new breweries on trips to Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Philly, DC, Richmond (VA), Raleigh and Durham, Boston, and New Jersey. And so many points in between.

#ThinkNYDrinkNY

Of course there were all of our New York stops as well, primarily in the FLX--from Rochester to Syracuse to Binghamton, in- and out-between, so much great beer was had. And of course, right here in our own backyard figuratively and literally! Here's a nugget that surprises no one: I drank a lot of Ithaca Beer. And Southern Tier (hello, Overpack'd). And Liquid State (hey new guys!). And because a year in review would be no good without tables, here's how many different beers I've had from my go-to NY breweries in 2018:

Lots of drinking in the FLX. The count indicates the number of unique beers
from that brewery that were checked in using Untappd. 
Looking back at this list, it is really neat to see the mix here. Older breweries like Ithaca, reinventing ones like Middle Ages (Syracuse), and newbies like Liquid State (Ithaca), Salt Point (Lansing), and K2 (Rochester) all among my most frequented from NY. And memories of our first trips to Upstate (Elmira) and Fleur de Lis (Seneca Falls) and WeBe Brewing (Geneva). I can't wait to see what 2019 looks like. I'm sure the locals will be high up there, but what others might appear?

ITH Beer Guy/Guide Goals

  1. Write more about the breweries we visit. I could end it after "Write more", but specifically I want to talk more about the places we go and capture more of our experiences to share here. I did call this a "guide" after all. With that, I need to take some better pictures. I often don't out of fear of looking "touristy", but I love looking back at pictures of all of our experiences--whether nature, museums, parks, playgrounds, or beer-related!
  2. Moreover, connect these experiences to me a bit more. My twitter is ITH Beer Guy. But just as much, I'm a family guy and our (beer) experiences are often centered around our family. Given "kids in breweries" is such a fiery topic for some, I'd like to include that more here--our adventures in breweries with kids. We certainly have many "family-friendly" places around here and those should be highlighted. 
  3. Actually share posts from this thing.I don't do that often, partly because I don't write often enough to consider this a thing, but mostly because I don't trust my own writing. 
  4. Instagram more consistently. Twitter is always my go-to and I'm still a noob at being active within Instagram. I'd like to incorporate that more, which again requires more pictures. 
  5. Continue to actively seek out other styles. I love IPA and it is hard not to get into a rut continuously chasing the new one coming out weekly. But there are so many other good beers out there. And so many good breweries-- that I sometimes move away from too quickly--that make other styles really well even when they aren't the best IPA maker. And of course, share all of it here.
There it is--2018 in a nutshell, as much of it as would fit at least, and some things I'm looking forward to accomplishing in the new year with this thing. I hope you'll join--whether or not that is here or on the tweets (or insta). 

Cheers, y'all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New England Craft Beer HoF

Beering in NY

Shiny New Pennies for 2019