Shiny New Pennies for 2019

For over a month I've been meaning to put together a bucket list of beer for 2019, but I just haven't been able to carve out the time. The beginning of a new semester always seems to kick my butt. I've even been nearly non-existent on twitter the last couple of weeks! However, I see the "finish" line approaching as we are about to turn the page on January, so here goes!

Ithaca(ish)
This past year brought us the great addition of Liquid State to the Ithaca beer scene. It is one of our favorite places to go and enjoy a pint, especially given how kid-friendly they are. Also, Salt Point opening in Lansing gave us an option on that side of town. While seating may be limited, they too are family friendly, and the quality of the beer has been a nice addition. This year, I'm planning on checking out two others, one growing and one brand-spanking new.

Summer Hill Brewing out in Groton has been up and running with tasting hours when possible. Unfortunately, those hours haven't matched up with our lives as of yet. However, with their growth and expansion plans for the new year, I'm betting we'll make it there this year.



Garrett's Brewing on the other side of the lake in Trumansburg is now set to open after a renovation of the old Rongo space. That space was special for a lot of folks around here, so I'm excited to see the prospects for Garrett's in a beer desert with Felicia's Atomic Brewhouse closing. I'm not sure if we'll make it for opening weekend, but we'll surely be there sooner than later.




Syracuse(ish)
Outside of Ithaca, Syracuse is one of our frequent road trips to visit family. We often will pair that up with a brewery visit. After all, we don't want to show up empty handed, and of course you'll need to sample before making a final selection! With that, I'm excited about a few newbies coming to town.

While ONCO Fermentations is technically in Tully, I'm hoping it will be a great added stop on our trips from Ithaca to Syracuse. The new brewery isn't open quite yet, but will be very soon. Another place offering mixed fermentation will always pique my interest and the location plus focus on NY ingredients is a major draw.



And how about this for timing? Talking Cursive in Syracuse is pretty much on the same schedule for opening as ONCO (TC appears slightly ahead as they've started brewing as of today). This one is located in one of my favorite parts of downtown, right across the street from the Niagara Mohawk building and next to a Cafe Kubal. The only thing better than a brewery next to a coffee shop is a brewery that is also a coffee shop (I'm looking at you Fifth Frame).

Speaking of breweries near coffee shops, I'm keeping an eye out for more information about this little nugget:


While I don't expect this place to open in 2019, I'm interested to know more. And based off of the location, this appears to be right next to the very awesome Salt City Coffee.

Outside of those opening, I need to get out to a few more farm brewery settings. Empire's pub in downtown Syracuse has been a go-to over the years, but we'd love to get out to their farm brewery finally. Also, the relatively new Heritage Hill brewery in Pompey looks promising as well--and super family friendly to boot. Both sites look idyllic and would make for great weekend road trips.

Rochester
I'm not sure exactly what to put here as there is much to still explore in the ever-growing Roc beer scene. There are still so many I haven't been to! In general, I keep an eye on what the esteemed Will Cleveland is up to. That said, I do know we will continue to make frequent trips to the aforementioned Fifth Frame and at some point I should check out the Genesee Brew House.

Along the way there, I'm excited about a number of other new projects. In nearby Victor, New York Beer Project's new (additional) location looks incredible. And, of course, there's this kinda popular NYC brewery setting down upstate roots with a second location in East Bloomfield.

The good news is Rochester is one of our favorite places to go. So much so, that we've renewed our Strong membership and have even visited for MY birthday weekend (and my son's).

Around the FLX
Some quick hitters:
  • Lucky Hare's expansion to Watkins Glen. Good lawd, that area needs some good beer. (And don't you dare suggest Fooster Rish unless it comes with a money back guarantee) What better addition than the expansion of Lucky Hare, one of FLX's best. 
  • Steuben Brewing - another picturesque brewery, but it's just so far! However, their brews look/sound super appealing so I know a visit will happen someday soon.
  • Bandwagon's new spot in Interlaken. I have never been a huge fan of their beer, and I'm not surprised they shuttered their downtown location. I'm hoping the farm brewery setting draws a big crowd and they continue to grow their beer. I tend not to give up on local breweries and Bandwagon is one I expect to visit this year. 
  • Speaking of revisiting a brewery, I should probably check out Scale House again. Maybe their 
  • Out near Lucky Hare in Hector, I'm excited to see what Pantomime Mixtures puts out. I've been surprised at the lack of wild beer in the area, so it'll be interesting to watch this Jester King-inspired brewery. 


Outside of NY? I'm not sure what 2019 holds yet. It's a guarantee we'll at some point go to NJ to visit good friends, so hopefully Magnify Brewing will make the list. I'd also put bets on a trip or two to PA--Scranton? Philly? Pittsburgh again? Any big road trips again? Either way, it's going to be another good year of beer.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New England Craft Beer HoF

Beering in NY